The department was established in 2009 following a request from the National Commission for Colleges of Education to that effect. A workshop was held by the Commission in 2009 and all the 18 Colleges of Education who attended the workshop were encouraged to establish the department to take care of pre-primary education. Consequently, the College established the Department and since then it was growing gradually. In April, 2016, the department was visited for resource assessment which was successful.
The early years (0-5) are crucial for the development of an individual and any support given at this stage helps to promote development. This period requires people who are knowledgeable, such as specialist care givers and teachers. Such people should be equipped for the task, hence the need to train them in ECCE to be able to handle these children effectively. Caregivers and teacher of young children therefore, should possess such qualities as enthusiasm, kindness, gentleness and tolerance. In addition they should possess academic and professional qualifications, Nigeria Certificate in Education (NCE).
By the end of NCE programme in Early Childhood Care and Education students should be able to identify and discuss the nutritional, social, emotional, cognitive, physical and health needs of the child. More importantly they should be able to display and apply the knowledge and competencies acquired in appropriate situations.
Specifically, the care-givers/teacher should be able to:
- Assist the child to develop good eating habits.
- Assist the child to develop good social habits.
- Facilitate emotional stability in the child.
- Assist the child to develop communication, reasoning and expressive skills.
- Assist the child to develop fine and gross motor skills,
- Assist the child to develop good health habits with emphasis on sanitation and safety needs.
- Assist the child to develop inquisitiveness and to explore his/her environment.
- Utilize resources and improvise materials to stimulate the child through play.
- Keep records of the child’s developmental progress in terms of major milestones.
- Identify children with special needs for referrals
- Discuss the needs, progress, and development of the child with parents and caregivers.
- Assist the child to acquire desirable attributes e.g. good morals, norms and values
- Participate actively in professional associations/organizations relevant to Early Childhood Care and Education
- Manifest desirable administrative competence in Early Childhood Care and Education.
A Senior Secondary School Certificate (SSC) or GCE O Level with credits in any five subjects including English and Mathematics, at not more than two sittings.
- A Grade II Teachers’ Certificate (TC II) with credit or merit in five subjects including English and mathematics.
- Associate Certificate in Education awarded by an approved institution in Nigeria or abroad, is also an acceptable qualification.
- Successful candidates in the Pre- NCE final examinations would be required to regularize their admission with JAMB examination as the case may be.
- All candidates wishing to be considered for admission must write the selection examination organized by an accredited body such as JAMB.
- It should be noted that colleges in addition to all of the above should administer their own qualifying tests and interviews. This is legitimate.