The centre was established in 1978 as Educational Resource Centre (ERC). Presently it is situated at a temporary accommodation in Block 8, just opposite the Old Lecture Theatre but may relocate to the Micro-Teaching Laboratory very soon. The Centre was designed to provide three main services namely: resources workroom/administration room, equipment store and resources lecture room. All the rooms were suitably blacked-out, to allow for projections and television viewing. The resources lecture room was furnished with arm chairs and could accommodate up to fifty students. A wide range of audio-visual equipment and materials were also provided.
Following the establishment of the National Commission for Colleges of Education (NCCE) as the accrediting body of all Colleges of Education in the country and the subsequent production of Minimum Standards for NCE programmes, the centre was renamed as Centre for Educational Technology (CET). Additional equipment and materials were provided to meet the NCCE Minimum Standards. The centre was also restructured as to make provision for a microteaching laboratory and photographic dark room.
The centre has over the period of time since its establishment stood out as one of the busiest places in the College because of regular staff patronage. It has been the pride of the College and a regular port of all by high profile visitors to the College. Some specific achievements of the centre include the following:
- Winner of the 1st place in the State level National Festival of Instructional materials in 1985;
- Participant in both 1985 and 1989 Educational Technology Fair at the national level
- Meeting the needs of staff and students in the area of instructional/multi-media production;
- Documentation of major academic and social activities within the College;
- Serves as a model centre in the north-west zone;
- Organizes state and zonal workshops;
- Extends services to sister institutions, including the university.
The philosophy for the establishment of the CEF is centred around the provision of educational technology services to the College academic community, for the training of teachers with high personal and professional discipline and integrity; teachers who are dedicated, with appropriate technical, production and improvisation skills, that will facilitate the application of knowledge to practical teaching tasks, for the improvement of the process of human learning.
The major objectives of the centre include:
- Instructional materials production services;
- Audio-visual loan services;
- Audio-visual documentation of major academic activities;
- Teaching of educational technology course;
- Information services on sources of educational media;
Media consultancy services.