The Department was established in 1970 and since it’s inception the Department has been running NCE programme without any break.
In it’s effort to meet the current global trends in information and communication technology the department acquired computers for training.
Apart from the Departmental responsibility of teaching NCE students in Mathematics, the department provides services to other Departments like General Studies for instance.
The department is an apostle of Mathematics by laboratory method; hence it developed local teaching aids and was able to update the Mathematics room to Mathematics laboratory. Mathematics is currently combined with all the science subjects in the college.
The philosophy of the NCE Mathematics is inspired by:
The desire to help students become intellectually informed in mathematical ideas, notations and skills for logical reasoning, scientific enquiry and for the pursuit of techno-scientific education.
The need to produce non-graduates but well-groomed and qualified professional teachers of mathematics for the Basic Education Levels.
By the end of the programme the students should be able to:
- Discuss with confidence the historical development of mathematics as a discipline
- Solve abstract problems through the use of mathematic skills and ideas
- Stimulate pupils interests in mathematics by the use of appropriate teaching/learning strategies particularly at the Basic education levels
- Make learners appreciate the use of computers in solving mathematical problems
- Use mathematics to solve day to day problems
- Teach mathematics in a way that learners can apply mathematics principles in solving daily problems
- Make the teaching of mathematics learner friendly through games and simulations
- Set up a mathematics laboratory
- Improvise materials for effective teaching/learning of mathematics
- To prepare the learners for further studies in mathematics and related courses.
GENERAL ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
- Senior Secondary School Certificate of WAEC or NECO or any other equivalent Certificate from recognized examination bodies with credit passes in four (4) subjects including English Language and Mathematics at not more than two sittings. Two of the credits must be in the subjects making up the combinations the candidates wish to offer.
- Grade II Teacher’s Certificate (TC II) with credit or merit in four (4) subjects, two of which must be relevant to the course the candidate wishes to offer. Credits/Merits in English Language and Mathematics are required for candidates wishing to study Chemistry.
- A pass in Pre-NCE Chemistry final examination or a pass in IJMB Chemistry final examination and a pass in JAMB is required for admission.
- All candidates wishing to be considered for direct admission must enroll for and write the selected examination organized by an accredited body such as JAMB. e) It should be noted that some colleges may in addition to all the above, administer their own elimination tests and/or interviews for some courses.
PROFILES OF DEPARTMENTAL STAFF
- Zainab Garba Umar, HOD Mathematics
She was born on Tuesday 30th August, 1969 in Sokoto South Local Government Sokoto State. She attended Muhammad Bankanu Model Primary School Sokoto from 1973-1979. From 1979-1981, she proceeded to Nana Girls Secondary School Sokoto and Shehu Shagari College of Education Sokoto from 1986-1989 where she obtained Nigeria Certificate in Education. She obtained B.Scin Education Mathematics in 1994 at Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto and M.Sc Mathematics in 2016, from the same institution, she held many positions in the college among which include: HOD (Academic Record), Ag, Academic Secretary, she was appointed H.O.D Department of Mathematics in 2018. As an Academic Staff, Zainab published ten(10) articles in reputable journals. She is married and with children.