A Brief History
The Department of Physical and Health Education (PHE) was established in 1973. The Department offered Physical and Health Education as a single major subject till 1978. From 1978 session, it was offered as a double major course. Prior to 1992 the department of physical and health Education was under the Science Division. From March 1992 the department came under the School of Science in line with the NCCE guidelines. With the implementation of the NCCE 2012 edition of the Minimum Standards in the College, the Department is now under the School of Secondary Education (Science Programmes).
Since the establishment of the department in 1973, it had graduated many students some which are teaching in the primary and secondary levels.
The philosophy of Physical and Health Education is to develop academic and professional competency which will enable individuals earn a living and render unique services to the society and also provide good basis of knowledge and experience that characterize an educated and fully developed person through physical activities.
The objectives of Physical and Health Education programmes are as follows:
Producing teachers who can inculcate and promote sound health attitude and practical at the Basic Education Levels.
Producing teachers who can organize and administer sports programmes (both intramurals and extra murals)
Preparing teachers so as to qualify them for a 2- or 3-years post- NCE degree programme (full time) in Physical and Health Education in Nigerian universities and abroad.
( I ) GENERAL
- Senior Secondary School Certificate of WAEC or NECO or any other equivalent Certificate from recognized examination bodies with credit passes in four (4) subjects including English Language and Mathematics at not more than two sittings.
- A Grade II Teacher’s Certificate (TC II) with credit or merit in four (4) subjects, two of which must be relevant to the course the candidate wishes to offer. Credits/Merits in English Language and Mathematics are required.
- All candidates wishing to be considered for direct admission must enroll for and write the selected examination organized by an accredited body such as JAMB.
- It should be noted that some colleges may in addition to all the above, administer their own elimination tests and/or interviews for some courses. This is legitimate.
I) A credit in Mathematics and credit in English Language at the Senior secondary School Certificate/equivalent are required of all science-based specializations.
(ii) ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- Senior Secondary School Certificate (SSSC) of WAEC/NECO with at least four (4) credits, two credit, of which shall be in Physical Educalion, Health Science and Biology.
- GCE 0/L with at least four (4) credits in two sittings, two of which shall be in Biology or Health Science or Physical & Health Education.
- Teachers Grade Two Certificate (TC II) with at least four (4) credits/merits one of which shall be in Physical and Health Education, Health Science or Biology
- Candidates should pass a physical fitness skill test to be conducted by the Department of Physical and Health Education of his/her choice College of Education.
- Any other qualification approved by NCCE.